Quantifying and Visualizing Literature

 Digital humanities is such a broad term. As I have read the chapters, I realized that every definition is also very broad. That makes it easy to find example for each term, but hard for me to understand it specifically. I am retraining my brain to think more openly about ideas or new words I learn. When it comes to data analysis, there are tools used that can be very helpful to make inferences and comparisons. The quote used in the model was perfectly states that with so much data and information, tools mine for "meaningful patterns associations, and defining feature." To me, the quote explains data mining and analysis to a T. As I have been using Voyage, it is a great tool to dissect a big or small quantity of text. The previous digital humanities project was mostly about images and number analysis. This project is all about text with no images with the main source. Voyage has many options for different tools people are looking for. It allows for the user to play around for their own personal preference. I was very impressed on how much information and text the site could handle on such a fast turnaround. The visual tools on Voyage are simple and clear. It makes it less overwhelming to analyze. I believe this tool should be presented more to students because it can be helpful for finding the main ideas and purpose of a text. Some patterns I have noticed on my story was the list of most frequently used words. My most frequently used word was breath. It is also in the title and showed me the most important topic/idea. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maps & Virtual Spaces

What is digital humanities?

Blog post 2: Data & Digitilzation