Blog post 2: Data & Digitilzation

 


The section on data helps and relates to my project for analysis because now that I have a better understanding of what is is I can find more things to analyse from my site. Data (like digital humanities) is a lot broader of a subject than I initial thought it was. It's not all about the obvious numbers like you'd automatically assume, it can include things like "text, beats in a measure, pixels on a screen, and distances on a map can all be turned into quantitative data," (Drucker, 19). This very helpful as a guide for what to focus on/analyse on my website.  The checklist for creating a data model was very helpful, I like that it breaks down with instructions. Data and digitalisation play a key role in digital humanities by being the large part of what makes it up. They apply to the website I'm analysing especially the digitalisation because my site is composed of a bunch of imported files to journals and projects. These chapters gave a dive into these components showing me more of what a website is made of. However I am a little confused on the exact difference between structured and unstructured data, so if someone wants to respond to give me a better example that would be great.

Comments

  1. My best understanding would be that structured data looks like traditional graphs and numbers, while unstructured data appears as written text that contains informational points (Jane lived in Washington D.C. until her death).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I also found the checklist for creating a data model to be very helpful. I was able to apply some of those points to my own website which was very useful. I believe that Anna did a great job at describing structured and unstructured data.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to emphasize the takeaway that "data are never neutral, but constructed from some point of view, with a specific set of values and beliefs" (32). Structured or unstructured, just that unstructured data is more ambiguous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maps & Virtual Spaces

What is digital humanities?