Data Visualization & Mining

 In reading chapters 6 & 7 of The Digital Humanities Coursebook, I was able to extract new information to further expand my knowledge (thus simultaneously losing myself further in the abyss of all digital humanities can be), particularly concerning the topics of data visualization and mining.

In terms of data visualization, I found the name itself to be fairly self-explanatory, however the details in its construction and representation provided a lot of information I didn't know. For example, I learned that there are two components to visualization: metrics and graphics. Through these components, information and data can be represented in numerous ways, and a choice between which visual representation to use can be made to best aid readability and consumption of the data. It is also noted in the text that one of the best ways to decide what kind of visual to use is to decipher whether the data is discrete or continuous. Before reading chapter 6, I had a rough idea of the benefits/reasons to use one kind of graphic over another, but I had no idea that data was classified as discrete and continuous, each being better suited for particular visuals than the other.

In terms of data mining, I wasn't so sure what it was, aside from being fairly certain it involved extracting data in some way. From chapter 7 of the book I learned that it involves finding patterns and taking information from digital files. Also, I learned that though it's useful for extracting information from a large pool of data, it is not used for this exclusively. It's also important to note that data mining always processes digital files, so there is room for error. This would happen in a case where a photo of a sculpture is assessed and extracted from as opposed to the sculpture itself. This being said, data mining is not limited to text, but can be represented in other formats as well, such as photos. There are also many analysis and computation tools used to "mine" data.

Comments

  1. Oh boy, it's at abyss level now! We've already seen some great examples of mining and visualization!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I liked the point you made about how data and information can be represented through numerous ways. I liked that you included how data can either be discrete or continuous as well. In chapter seven I learned a lot about the errors that could go wrong with data mining as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maps & Virtual Spaces

What is digital humanities?

Data and Visualization and Mining