Data Visualization & Mining

 While reading chapters six and seven in the Digital Humanities Coursebook I was able to learn what data visualization is along with data mining. First off, I found out what the two terms mean. Data visualization is information that is portrayed through various charts, graphs, and images (Drucker). Chapter seven focused on data mining. I understood data mining to be a way to comb through an abundant amount of data in a relatively fast way. Data mining is relevant in humanities because “It has become a part of research methods in text, music, sound recording, images, and multimodal communications studies with tools customized for this purpose” this allows data mining to become a positive tool for digital humanities research (Drucker 110). These two new terms broadened my definition of digital humanities yet again.  

    When I was looking at Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow I was able to see data mining in action. I saw data mining in this project due to the way that the tweets were organized by different emotions. Having the information organized that way allows for the viewer to find what they are looking for quicker. After looking at that project I switched to Six Degrees of Francis Bacon. This digital humanities project is an example of data visualization. Six Degrees of Francis Bacon is a visual depiction of data that connects people that are in relation to Francis Bacon from a 1st and 2nd degree. 

Comments

  1. I like that you described data mining seeming to be a fast and focused way to sort through data. After reading chapter seven and then going onto Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow I was able to recognize that I could look through it faster thanks to the help of data mining.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maps & Virtual Spaces

What is digital humanities?

Data and Visualization and Mining