Maps & Virtual Spaces

First and foremost, I want to say I never knew maps could be so complicated. It seems as though DH can really take some of the most traditionally simple topics and bring them to a level of complexity and provide context and depth one would likely not normally think of, which is both fascinating and so confusing! Additionally, I had no idea what GIS was, and think it's a very interesting system that provides context as to how maps are analyzed, and how data is extracted from them. I'm also very thankful for systems of coding and platforms that make geographical and geospatial data more easy to consume by the masses, especially in now knowing how complicated the process of doing so is.

The concept of three-dimensional and virtual models was quite fascinating to learn about as well, and have a new level of respect and admiration for those who are skilled in creating such renderings. Knowing that the creation of these models involves so many layers like source material, platform choice, textures, actions, interaction, and documentation shines a light on how multi-faceted design is in general. Reference here what I said initially about elements of DH being confusing and complex!

Bringing my learnings from these two chapters into DH projects such as Maine Sound and Story, Museum LA, and Google Museum's page particularly on photos uploaded by NASA, being a virtual tourist is so much more complex than one may initially think when just searching around. Virtual tourism and heritage involves so much hard work before the visitor even consumes the content, and it makes me respect those involved on another level. I find NASA's interactive pages on the planets in our solar system to be absolutely incredible now. Of course I found them amazing at first, but after learning about all of the complexities and numerous components that go into each display, it's just different!

Comments

  1. Hello!! I also didn't realize how complicated maps were. I was amazed to see all the layers and how complex it was. The concept of three-dimensional and virtual models also intrigued me. I have yet to view the photos that NASA uploaded, but I definitely will go view the page now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maps & Virtual Spaces

What is digital humanities?

Blog post 2: Data & Digitilzation