Maps & Virtual Spaces

 

I thought it was interesting to learn about the range of complexity that is mapping and GIS, just like digital humanities. It seems that the more qualities of the digital humanities that we learn, the more it helps to break down what the digital humanities are. That being said it is odd that adding complex features of the subject would make it easier to understand. For mapping, it seems to be complex in the way that there are so many ways to layer the information that is to be given. I like that the chapter on the subject in our textbook broke down the different purposes of using maps to relay information. 

The text also discusses a virtual exhibit created to recreate Pompeii. This reminded me of when I visited Pompeii, I got to see some of the 3D models that were created to represent its appearance, and I even remember there being a virtual exhibit that broke down the volcano erupting and the pattern (most likely based on evidence gathered) in which it buried the city. 

On the google arts and culture page, I looked at a virtual tour of the National Gallery in London. I chose a place that was more familiar to me so I could really try to see if the virtual tour worked well for me. I like the idea of being able to explore places from wherever you are, and this tour did a pretty decent job at immersing its viewers inside of the museum. 

Comments

  1. Hi there! I really like what you said about the complexities of mapping and how it adds to your understanding of what DH encompasses. Also, so cool that you've visited Pompeii! It must be neat to apply this learning to something you've seen firsthand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I thought your point about mapping having so many layers for formatting was interesting from the chapter. There was a checklist was informative and simply put. After reading the chapters,I noticed more details added onto each maps or site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool you experienced a reference from the textbook! And that you were able to experience the National Gallery virtually after being there in person!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is digital humanities?

Data and Visualization and Mining