Maps & Virtual Spaces

 Before reading chapter eight and nine of The Digital Humanities Coursebook, by Johanna Drucker I didn't have a lot of knowledge on maps and virtual spaces other than the basics. While reading chapter eight which is on maps, I learned that maps address more than just where something thing is or it's spacial awareness to other places. Maps are created by using multiple layers that need to be aligned and sorted correctly. I learned that maps are made up of many layers and they represent security concerns and resource management (Drucker 130). The only previous experiences I have had with virtual spaces was at a Van Gogh exhibit. At this exhibit I was allowed to virtually walk through his famous paintings using a virtual reality headset. After reading chapter nine I am now more aware of the different uses virtual spaces has. An example that I found helpful in the textbook was the virtual project that is known for recreating Pompeii (Drucker 152).

I find virtual spaces to be very fascinating, and I love to see all the work that is put into creating such a project. I never assumed that virtual spaces could help save old works of art and architecture. I enjoy the concept of preserving art through virtual models. While it was tricky figuring out how to work Google Arts & Culture, I still found the concept to be promising. I did enjoy the variety of virtual tours that were assigned to us though the Maine Sound & Story created a more personal environment that I enjoyed and hadn't experienced yet. 


Comments

  1. Maine Sound and Story did such a great job with their stuff-. I loved how authentic it felt! Virtual spaces can definitely be a great way to share history and preserve materials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalia! I think you discussed the Maine Sound & Story experience perfectly by talking about the personal environment it creates. And as for the pompeii example from the textbook, I also thought that was a create example to use.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maps & Virtual Spaces

Blog post 2: Data & Digitilzation

What is digital humanities?