MMILL Blog Post 8

I was part of the Virtual Tour Team and we are practically finished. For my role in the project, I worked on the brick making display. I uploaded photos of brick making with accompanying text and an icon. I also went through the project and made sure we had included everything. Overall, I think the project came together just as expected. The layout was simple and easy to navigate, and there was a unique variety of materials that made the display interesting to view. We did find some of the Thing Link layouts limiting, so there were some unplanned changes made. For example, there was no option to include text on multiple slides of an icon. I had to create a new icon for each text point if I wanted to use a different photo. In general, however, most of the work consisted of archiving the compiled information. 


Looking forward, I think the presentation should reflect the virtual tour itself. Our team could present each icon in the museum and discuss the points with our audience as if we were conducting a tour. The project will be a useful addition to the new MMILL website, and will allow a virtual exploration option for visitors. Moving forward, I’d include more interactive videos, and have a separate section (under only one icon) for different categories. Finally, I make the museum navigable, instead of being one 360 photo. I would want it to be as multimodal and informative as possible. Compared to the old website, however, it is much more user-friendly and appealing.

Comments

  1. I agree with the your point about our presentation reflecting the virtual tour itself. Breaking down each icon helps the audience navigate to their most curious topic. I also agree it is more user-friendly and appealing. I said it had a younger touch to it, just like Rachel was hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Presentation actually just means the form it will take, both the VR tour itself and on the website. I do think it would be cool to be able to zoom over to the other side of the museum here, but y'all made it work. In ThingLink, as we discussed, this would have required moving to another 360 image, essentially opening a new web page which does take away from the simplicity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maps & Virtual Spaces

Blog post 2: Data & Digitilzation

What is digital humanities?