Interface & e-lit

 In terms of e-lit, I found both "Depression Quest" and "my body" to be really interesting experiences. I found myself most enthralled with "Depression Quest," and enjoyed the navigation style, with hyperlinks guiding the choose-your-own-adventure feel, noting the options crossed out and un-clickable. This interface was very impactful, and brought me back to the reading from Chapter 10 of the DH textbook. I found "my body" to be engaging and interesting as well in a similar way, and enjoyed that it doesn't read like a normal book, rather is entirely visual and lead by the site visitor. I also liked how within each "chapter," there were hyperlinks that provided context/backstory by leading the site visitor to other "chapters." These elements are something that typical hard-copy literature just simply cannot offer, and emphasize the importance and intricacies of e-lit. Based on these things, in exploring these sources and reading Chapter 10, I would describe e-lit myself as a really creative and interesting intersection between "regular" writing and digital creation.

In terms of my own project, I will consider elements such as hyperlink navigation and possibly even sound integration. I will also be sure to include relevant and engaging graphics in my site, maybe some that offer interaction to the site visitor. I liked how engaging these sites were, and would like to engage my own site visitor in a similar fashion.

Comments

  1. I love the meaning behind all of the interactive choices in Depression Quest and, as you mentioned, the unclickable links. It really illustrates the struggle and realities of depression. "The medium is the message" here (McLuhan).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maps & Virtual Spaces

What is digital humanities?

Data and Visualization and Mining