Quantifying & visualizing literature

 

Overall I like the concept of being able to understand literature easier with the help of visualisation tools. It would make me feel ten times better to be able to confirm my theories about the thing I am reading if I could find actual data patterns to back it up. Using these data tools to back up things like settings, themes, and structure is a great way to support different claims when doing a reading of literature. It also really depends on what you are analysing, because I think that changes the difficult level for analysing. Personally, I definitely struggled at first using Voyant tools to analyze my Edgar Allan poe work. It was hard to connect the data to an overarching theme to the story. However, I did like using it to compare everyone in the classes poems. It was helpful to see similar/contrasting patterns in pops writing between the stories. For example, all of the stories included a spookier genre based on the most commonly used words through all of the works. In my own story, the data helped confirm the overall plot based on the order of word structure but I am still struggling with how to apply this information to my analysis. 

Comments

  1. Hello! I also had a hard time using Voyant tools to analyze my Poe story. Because of this, I took a very critical approach to data visualization in respect to literature, however I like the points you bring up a lot about comparing literary works to one another and finding patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maps & Virtual Spaces

Blog post 2: Data & Digitilzation

What is digital humanities?