Interface & e-lit

 


My Body, a Wunderkammer by Shelley Jackson is first born digital literature. It is meant to be read from an electronic device because of the interactiveness of the story. You can go in and click the hyperlinks on the page and it will take you to a specific section regarding that body part. This is a free flowing story, as in you can click/start at any point in the story. In the textbook, an interface is defined as "connecting a person with a computer"(Drucker 172). This story does a very good job with that based on its face designed. Because it is an imagine of the body, where you can interact with it, it makes it makes a more powerful affect for readers. Depression Quest by Zoe Quinn is another good example of born digital literature because it is highly interactive. Almost like a game, the story takes its reader through asking them questions. This quality keeps readers engaged in the story while allowing simple access to it. The designer of these interfaces clearly strategically planned them out to be carried out only by use of technology. Personally, for my own future interface I would like to include some type of interactive design that can capture my classmates attention. The texts says, "Showing contents and supporting use need to function together for the interface design to be effective," (Drucker 174). I want mine to not only capture the readers attention but also be very easy to navigate and use in order to be effective. 

Comments

  1. Hi Kait! I completely understand and relate to the importance of making the website interactive in order to capture and keep the attention of the visitors of our websites. I think the quote you used for interface is the perfect, simplest definition for those with a less in-depth knowledge of technology and website design. I also really enjoyed the Depression Quest story, due to the reader being able to guide themselves throughout the plot until the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I also discussed the importance of having hyperlinks in an interactive design. I enjoyed how My Body, a Wunderkammer furthered the interactiveness of the story with the links. I understand why you relate the interactive piece to a game because it really allows you to pick the outcomes and takes you through the motions of each choice that you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I also like the simplicity of "connecting a person with a computer"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maps & Virtual Spaces

What is digital humanities?

Data and Visualization and Mining