Web Presentation & Design

As we conclude the Digital Humanities Coursebook by Johanna Drucker, our previously-tackled digital humanities components of materials and processing are put into their final formatting by incorporating the presentational component to finalize the project. Presentation modes are incredibly important in digital projects, with Drucker describing their importance as, "...online publication formats and presentation modes are also a crucial part of the work in digital humanities. Presentation formats take various forms, as was already evident in the discussion of interface. The most common are repositories, exhibits, theme and topic-specific sites, or digital publications" (Drucker 192). Our previous topics of data mining and text analysis will be utilized as we enter the presentational component on our MEdiation websites. While our websites will be published online, it is important understand that presentations do not have to be online, but rather in assorted digital formats. I need to solidify which website building platform I am going to use, which will in turn shape the structure I will use for my website.

For my MEdiation website, I plan on creating a website that is not only visually appealing, but also accessible and as interactive as possible for audience members of my website. By utilizing the concepts we have learned and expanded upon throughout the course, such as presentation, design, interface and metadata, I can create a website that is both well-rounded and a strong representation of my work in this course. Selecting my platform of choice will be fundamental in the presentation of my website, with Drucker describing this selection by saying, "Picking a platform requires making a list of the design specifications and functions your project requires and then finding the tool that will support this... A platform with a broad user community is more likely to last—and to provide help support in the form of list-servs and other venues" (Drucker 199). In terms of intellectual property, I am likely to include watermarks on my projects within the website, as I do not want my work being potentially used by another user in a facet that may infringe on my hard work.

Comments

  1. "presentations do not have to be online, but rather in assorted digital formats"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a great plan for your website, and I can't wait to see what you put together! It sounds like you have a lot of great components in mind, and I appreciate that you value accessibility and interactivity as much as you do aesthetics and visuals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maps & Virtual Spaces

What is digital humanities?

Data and Visualization and Mining